The Global Observatory on Academic Freedom (GOAF) conducts rigorous, innovative, and pertinent scientific research aspiring to respond to the urgent need of rethinking the concept of academic freedom. New times pose new challenges, theoretical as much as empiric, and GOAF seeks to stimulate the debate, connect the interested stakeholders, and reflect upon possible pathways vital to the preservation of academic freedom and democratic societies.
GOAF responds to the need for universities to effectively pursue the production, transmission, and dissemination of knowledge as a public good. On a global level, GOAF engages in research and advocacy activities that promote academic freedom as a cornerstone of higher education and of a democratic society. On the individual and institutional levels, GOAF addresses the need for a better formulation of the concept of academic freedom.
Research and Advocacy, Discussion and Debate
- Connecting global scholars with expertise and interest in academic freedom
- Opening the space for debate and discussion on competing concepts and current challenges to academic freedom
- Publishing an annual global report on the state of the field, accompanied by several case studies on threats and positive developments
- Maintaining an online repository of relevant resources on academic freedom
- Reflecting upon advances and innovative approaches to safeguarding academic freedom
Post Date: 05-16-2022
Post Date: 02-01-2022
Post Date: 06-17-2021
Post Date: 05-11-2021