The Open Society University Network envisions a new model of global higher education—a long-lasting network with deep partnerships among diverse institutions committed to addressing global challenges collaboratively. The network is global in demographic and geographic scope and extends to places where it is needed most. It strives to integrate curricula and research across institutions in different countries and incorporate civic engagement into higher education.
OSUN seeks to:
- foster critical thinking and intellectual inquiry to strengthen the foundations of open societies amidst a resurgence of authoritarian regimes
- inspire students to address global challenges by getting to know other societies from the inside
- expand access to higher education at a time of growing inequities
- counteract polarization by promoting global collaboration in research and education to examine issues from different perspectives
- bolster efforts by universities in challenging environments to build their own capacities through global partnerships, in order to make greater contributions to their societies