The Open Society University Network envisions a new model of global higher education—a long-lasting network with deep partnerships among diverse institutions committed to addressing global challenges collaboratively. This network will be global in demographic and geographic scope and extend to places where it is needed most. It will integrate curricula and research across institutions in different countries and incorporate civic engagement into higher education.
OSUN seeks to:
- foster critical thinking, intellectual inquiry, and fact-based research to strengthen the foundations of open societies amidst a resurgence of authoritarian regimes
- educate students to address global challenges by getting to know other societies from the inside
- expand access to higher education at a time of growing inequities
- counteract polarization by promoting global collaboration in research and education to examine issues from different perspectives
- bolster efforts by universities in challenging environments to build their own capacities through global partnerships, in order to make greater contributions to their societies